Wednesday, January 9, 2013

DIY Mickey & Minnie Backpacks

The final touch to completing our Day 1 Disney outfits was a coordinating backpack

Let me tell you a little something about myself....once I get something in my head....it's hard for me to let it go.  Like traditions.  I MUST stick to them or it just feels wrong.

One tradition I have is to always use my Minnie Mouse mini backpack when I go to Disneyland.  Get it? It really is a MINNIE backpack. bahahahahaha  

 I found that waaaay more hilarious than I probably should have


Anyway, I've had this backpack since mini backpacks were all the rage in the 90s.

I got it in Kindergarten and I've loved that thing ever since.  I remember thinking it felt really "high school" to have a mini backpack and carry your books...after all that's what my sister Heather and her friends did

So I distinctly remember taking my Minnie backpack to school instead of a full sized one and carrying my folder of homework at my side.  A single folder wasn't enough for me to feel "cool" so I also carried a Barbie chapter book with me.  

Every. Single. Day.  

It was like a prop. It never occured to me that it probably doesn't look to convincing to carry around the same book for 5 months....but luckily my 1st grade peers were just as clueless as I was.

I thought I was such a badass.  Minnie Mouse backpacks and Barbie books just SCREAM cool ya know!

Back to Disneyland....I've used this backpack every trip

A few examples.....

Rockin the Minnie mini backpack since 95'




Told you I'm a tradtions freak.....see how the pics are the same?

So while the idea of dressing up was fun...I was sort of heartbroken knowing I woudn't be able to rock my Minnie mini

I knew the only way I could justify turning my back on my backpack was to come up with a cool replacement


Just need a cheap drawstring bag (got mine at Dollar Tree) and some foam sheets



Cut out your shapes and hot glue them on

A glittery  bow for me



And the shorts buttons for The Boy



I heard a few whispers from people about how they were cool.....that's the one time it's alright for people to talk behind our backs....if it's about our backpacks ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment