Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Low Carb Burrito Bowls

I'm currently back on the LC wagon trying to get myself slimmed down for my trip to Vegas in a month.  Vegas, much like Halloween, is an excuse to slut it up with your wardrobe and nobody really thinks less of you.  Short, tight dresses aren't normally my "thang" so I need to shed a few lubs beforehand and low carb does it the quickest for me.

The thing I really like about LC is you get to eat so many things that are such no nos on other diets....you feel sorta....naughty. haha ;)  Any diet that lets me eat bacon and guacamole is the diet for me!  These burrito bowls are so good you really don't feel like your dieting at all. And with Cinco De Mayo just a few days away you can still celebrate and stick to your diet at the same time....and celebrations are what kill me normally!  If I feel like I'm missing out I'll cheat.  Pair these bowls with  a 'Poor Girls Skinny Margarita and you won't even feel the urge to cheat!

Start by making your low carb mexican rice


A head of cauliflower, garlic, half an onion, and an 8oz can tomato sauce



And because I'm losing my mind I forgot to add beef stock and cilantro in the picture


Grate the cauliflower and dice the onion.  Start sauteing them in a large pan. After the onion is starting to soften add in the minced garlic (about 3 cloves) and......



Pour in the entire 8oz can of tomato sauce and your beef stock.  I probably used somewhere between 1/4- 1/2 c. of stock...depending on the size of your head of cauliflower.  Let it all bubble together and let the liquids reduce.  See how much liquid is in the above picture?  In the end it will look more like this....





Season with salt and stir in chopped cilantro.  Mmmmm


The rest is really up to you.  I had leftover steak that I cubed up and reheated with butter and garlic in a frying pan. You could use machaca, shredded chicken....whatever creams your twinky!  Then pile on the toppings


I used sour cream, guacamole, salsa, cheddar, and green onions.


Sure there's still a few carbs.....it isn't carb free, but you get all the flavors of a delicious burrito without all the guilt! And to me that's what it's all about!  Think about it compared to a bowl with with rice.  A cup of white rice has 45 carbs!  If you had 2 tbs each of the guac, sour cream , and salsa,  this bowl had about 8-10 carbs in it.  That's pretty darn good

5 comments: