Tuesday, October 16, 2012

The Best Low Carb Bread....Fo Realzies!

There are lots of different variations to the low carb bread known as "Oopsies"

If you're not sure why they're called that you're in luck because I'm about to tell ya!

Apparently there was a recipe by Dr. Atkins called Revolution Rolls

This recipe called for cottage cheese but somebody misread it and used cream cheese by mistake

They realized it turned out better than the original recipe and the Oopsies were born!

Now there are a TON of different recipes to the oopsie rolls.  Differences in amounts, some use Splenda, different directions......basically A LOT of variation.

Lucky for me my sister started on the LC wagon before me and she got to do all the testing and tweaking.....and I just got to steal her recipe haha

We always joke that Atkins is her religion.  She studies it, lives it,and preaches it.  In fact I think she should be syndicated.   She could be the  Joel Osteen of carbs.  


Now let's get started....


You need


7 eggs, cream of tartar, protein powder (I use unflavored whey protein) and 8oz of cream cheese
                   *Let both the eggs and cream cheese come to room temp*

Then, separate your 6 of your eggs, leaving one to the side


Add the extra whole egg to the yolks and whisk.  Then mix in the cream cheese.  I whisk it by hand because if you're cream cheese is soft enough it should be pretty easy.

It will look pale yellow and thick like this






Then I whisk in 1/4 cup of the protein powder

At this point it sort of looks like cake batter






Remember your egg whites?  Well whip those to stiff peaks in your mixer


You know they're right when you can turn the bowl upside down




Now dump the yolk mix onto the egg whites and fold.  It won't be mixed perfectly and you will still have patches of eggs white....but that's ok!  You don't want to overmix or you will break down and deflate the whites which will give you less yield






Then spread into sprayed (or use shortening....I was out of spray today) pans.   My sister found that these mini pie tins are the best.  Before I bought them I made them once just by dropping big spoonfuls onto sprayed parchment paper.  It worked out ok but the little pie pans give them the perfect shape and size and seem to help them hold up for a more bread like texture.  So I highly suggest buying these if LC is something you want to stick with for a while.   I've seen that some people use whoopie pie pans which should probably work well too but just be a bit smaller





This amount of batter always gives me enough for 12....no more...no less!

Be sure to smooth the tops with a spatula because they bake up exactly how they look in the pan.  So if they are lumpy on top and not spread out evenly....that's how the will be. They don't spread at all

Bake in a 300 degree oven for 30 minutes




They should pop out easily with a knife or spatula

Let them cool completely


Aren't they cute?  They look like Aunt Hatties brand hamburger buns to me!

And if you ever need bigger ones you can bake them in 5 in cake pans and just bake a bit longer.  My sister does this for her husband when he goes out to restaurants for work.  He just orders a burger without the bun and whips out his own giant Oopsies

And if you were wondering....I'm pretty sure he does get plenty of shit for it.  But he's a pretty secure guy ;)

Anyways...

Store them in an airtight container or ziplock bag in the fridge.   I learned that the hard way

It may not be so bad in other places, but here in hotter than Hades Az, they get funkadelic reeeaaaalll quick on the counter

I bit into one and it was yeasty and moist after a day.....not a pleasant experience (shudders)

Here's one I used for my hamburger I ate for dinner tonight







I paired it with some dill "fauxtatoe salad"  (using cauliflower)  I normally don't make my salad with dill but the dollar store had big bags of it so I thought I'd branch out a little





18 comments:

  1. Thanks for a great and timely post! I am ending another diet and will transition to LC/Paleo in just two weeks. I am concerned that a dozen rolls is way to much for one person unless they stay in the fridge for at least a week? I have only made the oopsies once and they were free formed on the cookie sheet but came out great taste wise anyway. With seven eggs in the recipe it would be hard to halve but doable.

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just so you know http://yourlighterside.com/ lady is the creator of the oopsie :) she has AWESOME recipes too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. I did some (estimated) math with the nutritional values of the ingredients. For 12 pieces, each "bun" has approx 1.6gr of carbs. I'm definitely going to try this one

      Delete
  4. You didn't include the cream of tarter in your instructions

    ReplyDelete
  5. A pinch or maybe up to a half teaspoon of cream of tarter is often used with egg whites for firmer results. I'm sure that's where she uses it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what size pans are the ones in pictures? Are they same size as pot-pie sizes?

    ReplyDelete
  7. My cream cheese box says 2 carbs per ounce. On lc diets are you deducting the protein amount (2g) to get a 0 net carb count?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. You deduct fiber, not protein. Protein and carbs are completely different macros.

      Delete
    2. No. You deduct fiber, not protein. Protein and carbs are completely different macros.

      Delete
  8. My cream cheese box says 2 carbs per ounce. On lc diets are you deducting the protein amount (2g) to get a 0 net carb count?

    ReplyDelete
  9. in the picture of your burger, is that one bun split in half or to 2 buns for the top and bottom bun?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Where did your sister find the mini pie pan? So they are less than 5"? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  11. Muffin top pans work very well with this recipe and they are about the size of a regular burger.
    They can be found on Amazon. I make many different low carb bread recipes in these pans. They are worth the money

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, I got mine at K-Mart if you're in Australia. Only $3 for a pack of 4.

    ReplyDelete