Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Low Carb Corned Beef Hash

Corned beef tends to be forgotten about 11 months out of the year....and then is in high demand in March for St. Patty's day.  I'm on a mission to get people to eat it year round.  Not really.....but I do highly suggest it.

There's just something about it that's so delicious.  It's greasy....it's salty....basically everything you love about a french fry but without the carbs, bloat, and guilt afterwards.

You could buy it and just go straight to making the hash but I suggest buying a bunch and cooking it for a dinner with your cabbage fixings one night and using the leftovers to make this delicious hash.  My low carb version uses my usual potato substitute:cauliflower. I promise it's so good you won't mind the sub at all.  

My husband is usually the one who makes this dish but with him working 60 hour work weeks lately I had to fend for myself.  I tried my best to replicate what he does and it came out pretty good.....but his is still better.  Maybe that's because when he makes it I'm usually still laying around in bed watching Netflix.....that could be why. Food usually tastes better that way.

Don't let the use of the dijon mustard in this recipe scare you.  It doesn't scream MUSTARD!!!  It mostly just gives it a nice sort of spiciness...it's delish!


Low Carb Corned Beef Hash

1 lb. Corned beef diced into small cubes
1 small head cauliflower chopped up to similar size of the beef  (looking for equal  ratio of corned beef to cauliflower, just eyeball it if using a larger head)
1 small onion diced
2 cloves of garlic minced
1/2 c. Dijon mustard
2 sprigs of rosemary minced
Salt and Pepper to taste

Begin by browning the corned beef in a cast iron skillet (any pan will do but cast iron is the best)  Allow some of the fat to render off and then scoop out the meat with a slotted spoon and set aside, leaving the fat in the pan.  Add you cauliflower to the pan and allow to cook through.  Try not to stir it too much to let the cauliflower caramelize.  Add your onion and garlic and allow them to soften and slightly caramelize as well.  Stir in the dijon  mustard and rosemary and allow the flavors to cook together for a few minutes.  Season with salt and pepper to taste




Serve as is or with a fried egg on top.  I like mine with a runny yolk.  Not a good picture....I had already started eating




1 comment:

  1. Looks amazing! I love corned beed hash but in my younger years I'm embarrassed to say that I ate the gross canned stuff. This is much better.

    ReplyDelete