Friday, April 26, 2013

Low Carb Herb Flatbread (Good Low carb panini bread)

A few weeks ago The Boy and I celebrated our 4 year dating anniversary.  And by celebrated I mean we got to hurriedly eat lunch together....on the couch.....while doing our taxes on the laptop..... before he had to run off to work.

Pure romance ehh?  We do what we can.  Oh the joyful life of being young and poor with crappy work schedules.  Not that I'm complaining or anything.  Ok.....I kinda am.

Anywho....I wanted to work up a little nostalgia factor so I decided to recreate the meal we had on our first date.  The restaurant has sadly closed down since then, but I remembered exactly what we had.  Genoa Salami paninis with caesar salad.

I didn't exactly feel like blowing my eating for a meal that would be eaten on the couch in our pajamas while I gasped for air in fear of the outcome of our tax situation (I forget to breathe when I'm anxious so I end up gasping every few minutes...I'm a real treat to be around in stressful situations ;))  

The caesar salad was a green light...inherently low carb with the right dressing and minus the croutons.  It's the panini that posed the problem....I wasn't in the mood for cheating and getting a serious case of wheat belly so I knew I would need to make the bread

I wanted to try what looked like an awesome panini bread recipe I found on Pinterest, but had no luck finding oat fiber.  No, not oat flour, not oat bran, oat FIBER.  So I had to scrap that idea  

That left me to figure out something on my own the night before.  I ended up making the same batter I always make to make my Oopsie bread.  (<Go there for the recipe and step by step picture tutorial)

The only thing I did different was I added about a 1/2 cup of shredded Parm, 2 tsp italian seasoning, and 1 tsp dried basil to the mix.  Then, instead of putting the mix into little pie pans, I spread it out evenly onto a heavily greased piece of parchment paper that lined a baking sheet

I really wish I had taken pictures but I was in such a last minute rush I forgot all about it

Bake as normal and then let rest until cooled completely.  Cut into squares


The next day I just built my sandwiches and slathered them in butter as I would any regular panini and put them in the press




They cooked up surprisingly more golden brown and crispy than I expected





And it stayed crispier FAR better than I had imagined considering it's sort of a a more spongy bread to begin with....but it held up awesome!  This was a last minute trial that turned out so good I can't wait to make this flatbread again soon




And in case you were wondering....this panini has Genoa Salami, provolone cheese, shaved onion. roasted red peppers, tomato, and basil. 

It made for a delicious lunch....and our taxes weren't quite as bad as we though they would be....so I was able to keep the sandwich down...even better!




No comments:

Post a Comment