Thursday, November 7, 2013

Low Carb Meatloaf

Meatloaf  tends to get a bad reputation



No, not that Meatloaf....well he is a little misunderstood too.....but I'm talking about the literal loaf o' meat

There aren't a whole lot of people in the middle when it comes to this classic dish. You tend to either LOVE it like I do or turn your nose up at it.

The Boy was never a fan because he remembers it as a dry, bland, brick of meat he was forced to eat as a child.  That's why I was on a mission to make him like it as much as I do all while sticking to our low carb ways.

Now I'm not normally a brand name dropping kind of gal when it comes to herbs and spices.  I usually buy whatever is cheapest which tends to be the store brand.  But this is one of the few times I highly suggest buying a specific brand and that is McCormick Meatloaf Seasoning


We use this to make meatloaf at my work and it opened my eyes to a whole other world of meatloafy deliciousness.  It takes all the guess work out of whether or not you have enough seasoning....it's all there! 

My meatloaf contains the normal ingredients.  Celery, onion, egg, but one ingredient my surprise you.  Green chiles.  They don't make it taste like green chile per say, but it keeps it super moist and flavorful.

And then to make this recipe low carb I swapped out the bread crumbs for crushed pork rinds....an absolute perfect substitute that binds it together nicely




One random note: I never actually put my meatloaf in a bread loaf pan like my mom did.  I prefer to free form it onto a foil lined sheet tray.  This way it doesn't sit in the grease like it would in the pan....there's room for the grease to run off




And the good news is The Boy loved it!  His exact words were that it was one of the best meals I've cooked in a long time.  He immediately followed that by saying "not that everything you cook isn't good....this is just REALLY good"  Good save bro.....good save ;)

So I think I may have officially changed his mind on meatloaf.  I consider this a big victory.

Low Carb Meatloaf

2# ground beef
2 stalks celery, diced
1 small onion diced
7oz can chopped green chiles
2 eggs
1/2 c. crushed pork rinds
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 pack of McCormick Meatloaf seasoning

*Sugar free Ketchup & Worcestershire sauce for topping

Mix together all ingredients until well incorporated but try not to over mix or the meatloaf will be tough.  Form into a loaf on a foil lined baking sheet.  Mix together ketchup and worcestershire sauce to taste and spread over the entire meatloaf. Bake at 350 until reaches a minimum of 155 degrees.  I suggest checking at 40 minutes


No comments:

Post a Comment