Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Double Crunch Pecan Pie

Pecan has always been my favorite Thanksgiving pie.  Always.  

But everything changed when I tried THIS pecan pie.  One of the three years that I sold pies I did it with my friend Jade.  I think she found the recipe in a magazine somewhere....I'm not really sure.  But over the years I've made a few small tweaks but not too many.  It really is the best pecan pie you'll ever have....I've been told this by many people.

In fact, one particular fan of this pie really sticks out to me.  When I was selling these pies a lot of my "clientele" if you will were my sisters coworkers.  One in particular was a Pharmacist named Jim.  Jim was one of those older gentlemen who even though he made PLENTY of money was always a cheap skate. After donating his car he walked to work because he didn't want to pay for a new one, he wore the same clothes for YEARS, and never wanted to pay more than $5 for anything.  That's why I think it's saying something that he was willing to shell out the $12 I charged for this pie (which actually isn't a bad price for all the pecans it contains) And he was always so grateful and excited when they were delivered

The thing that makes both Jim and I nuts over this pie is just that....all the nuts!  It has more than double the nuts of your average pecan pie.  You start off making it the same way you always do.  You have the corn syrup, sugar, egg goop and your chopped pecans.  You know how normally all the chopped pecans float to the top and form a crust?  Well in this recipe, right when that crust is forming you add pecan halves that have been coated in sugar and honey (almost candied) on top of that.  These pecan halves sort of force those pecan bits down a bit and settle them more into the goop.  That way each bite is FULL of pecany goodness!  A pecan pie lovers dream!!!




Here's a focus on those pecan beauties!




I don't know about you, but in my family pecan pie is ALWAYS served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.  The "goop" of the pie is almost like a sauce for the ice cream.  It's butterscotch/caramel reminiscent.  And I LOVE LOVE pie crust with ice cream.  Yummm!

Double Crunch Pecan Pie

4 eggs beaten
1/2 c. Brown sugar
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 c. Corn syrup
2 tb. Melted butter
3 tsp. Vanilla
1 c. Chopped pecans


Topping:

1/3 c. Brown Sugar
3tb. Butter
3tb. Honey
1.5 c. Pecan halves

Combine eggs, sugar, salt, corn syrup, butter, vanilla, and chopped pecans.  Pour into pie shell and bake at 350 for 35 minutes.  Combine remaining ingredients in a saucepan over low heat a few minutes just before the 35 minutes is up.  Allow the sugar to melt and everything to evenly coat the pecans.  Top pie with mixture and bake an addition 10- 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment