Friday, July 19, 2013

Easy Low Carb Lunch- Grilled Hot Dog Wrap

I think most everyone would agree that eating healthy is the hardest when you're in a hurry, overly hungry, or just plain tired.

It's easy to stick to it when you have all the time in the world and endless amounts of energy to cook a healthy feast...but sometimes life happens and it just doesn't work out that way.

I have two things working against me right now.  Number one being that it's so damn hot outside ( I live in AZ) the very thought of turning on my oven makes me melt....so I'm sticking to either cold or things that cook quickly on the stove  to avoid heating up the house as little as possible.

Problem number two being that work has been a big pain in the ass lately.  The days are so stressful and so long (combined with the heat of working in a kitchen) that I have been coming home completely beat almost every night of the week.

One day last week I woke up in my bed still holding a cup of water.  I had no idea how long I had been asleep....but I must have been mid drink when I knocked out...but hey....at least I didn't spill.   Another night I woke up with a wet bath towel wrapped around my head, wearing a tshirt, with my underwear laying next to me naked from the waist down  (sorry for the images)  Apparently taking a shower really took it out of me and I couldn't even finishing clothing myself before I passed out in a puddle of my own drool.   Bottom line here....I'm feeling tired and lazy as hell lately.

Going off my eating isn't an option though....I'm determined to not let this drag me down and fatten me up.  That's why low carb tortillas have been my savior lately.  I particularly like this Extreme Wellness brand


They make great cold wraps, quesadillas, and don't forget the breakfast burritos.  But right now my latest obsession is these grilled hot dog wraps.  I can't get enough of them

Here's what you do

Start by taking 2 hot dogs and slicing them down the middle, but not all the way through...like how you would butterfly chicken.  This isn't absolutely necessary but I like to get as much of the hot dog crispy as possible.  Of course cooking the dog in butter doesn't hurt either.  What's a low carb meal without a little butter?


Quick note on the hot dogs themselves...I'm really digging these right now



I wouldn't necessarily say they taste like bacon....but they're good! And only 1g carb per weenie.  Don't quote me...but I think Hebrew Nationals are also 1 carb, they're my other favorite.  I suggest staying away from hot dogs like Ballpark brand....those suckers have 4g carbs each! I never was a fan of them anyway...too bologna like.  Bleh!  Uggh....and don't even get me started on BarS  hot dogs....

After your hot dogs are crispy and heated through, put them on your tortilla with some cheese



Fold it up like a burrito and grill it in butter on all sides until brown and crispy....kinda like a grilled stuffed burrito from Taco Bell....sorta



The result is utter deliciousness!




It gives me my corn dog fix.  I LOOOOVE corn dogs and this of course doesn't have the corny taste, but the crispy buttery tortilla is a good stand in.  And the cheese doesn't hurt either

Come to think of it.....maybe it's more hot pocketish?  Either way it's good eatin

 
Add this to your LC repertoire and you'll be less likely to cheat when you're in a hurry



No comments:

Post a Comment