Thursday, February 6, 2014

Shrimp Salad Cucumber Cups

My sister was having a casual get together at her house a few weekends ago to watch the UFC fight.  Which means a night of the men in the living room actually watching the fight and the women huddled around in the dining room talking about Pinterest and my sisters upcoming wedding.

I wanted to bring something low carb that everyone could eat and not feel like I was bringing diet food....ya know?  I had a bunch of cucumbers in my veggie drawer that were at the use em or lose em stage.  Why on earth I felt the need to buy like 10 on my last grocery trip I'll never know.

And I was craving shrimp.....so the shrimp salad cucumber cup was born.  Not that it hadn't been born somewhere else before....just that particular day I felt very inspired so I'm claiming it as mine...k?


I bought a bag of frozen precooked shrimp (You can use raw and cook them yourself but I was on a time crunch) thawed them under water and diced small.  I added diced red onion, red bell pepper, celery, cilantro, a sprinkle of garlic powder, salt, pepper, and lemon juice.


Looks yummy right?

And just to bind it all together...I added a touch of mayo



Now it's time to make your cucumber cups.

Cut your cucumbers in chunks of however tall you want your cups to me.  I made mine kind of tall thinking I wanted them to hold more salad but I think next time I'll cut them shorter and just have more cups over all.

Then, using a melon baller or spoon scoop out some of the seeds but DO NOT go through all the way to the bottom or your filling will all fall out






And.....FILL!!



Forewarning.....they juice like crazy when you take a bite.  Eat them with a plate



Shrimp Salad Cucumber Cups

12 oz. cooked shrimp, diced
2 red bell peppers, diced
1/2 red onion, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1/2 bunch of cilantro minced
Juice of 1-2 lemons depending on how lemony you like things (2 for me please!)
1 tsp. garlic powder
Salt & Pepper
1/4 C. Mayo
 Cucumbers (number of them depends on how big you make your cups.  I would have at least 5)

Mix the shrimp, bell pepper, red onion, celery, and cilantro in a bowl.  Add your seasonings, lemon juice and mayo adjusting to your own taste.

Cut the cucumber in chunks and hollow out using a spoon or melon baller being sure not to poke through the bottom so your "Cup" stays in tact and the salad won't fall out.  Fill the cups with the shrimp salad, garnish if desired, and serve



No comments:

Post a Comment