Thursday, May 9, 2013

Low Carb Everything "Bagel"

Recently there has been one thing I've been craving.....an everything bagel

Considering there are over 60 carbs in one.....making my own version had to happen

So here's what I came up with


Start out by making your basic One Minute Flax bread

1 pat of Butter 
1 Egg
1/2 tsp. Baking powder
2 Tb. Golden flax flour
1/4 C. Cheese

Start by spraying a ramekin with nonstick spray.  Melt the butter in the ramekin, then mix in the egg, baking powder, flax, and cheese.  It will look like this



Microwave it for....you guessed it....one minute.  Flip it over and if it isn't done on the bottom cook it about 20 seconds more



Just plain like this it's perfect for sandwiches and burgers....whatever!  Here it is as a breakfast sammie with bacon, tomato, a little mayo, and a fried egg




Now to make it into a bagel...

I made some of the "Everything" seasoning by combining equal parts:

Seasame seeds
Poppy Seeds 
Minced dried onion
Minced dried garlic

Plus 1/2 the amount of salt of all the other ingredients

Whether it be teaspoons, tablespoons,...however big a batch you want to make



I sliced my minute bread in half and sprayed the outsides with nonstick spray and dipped it in the seasoning



 Then toasted it in the toaster oven, cut side down to keep as much of the topping on as possible



Then I dressed it up the same way I do my bagels.  Loaded with cream cheese, tomatoes, shaved red onion (literally shaved with a vegetable peeler) sliced avocado, salt and pepper



So here's the deal.....don't go into this expecting it to really feel like a bagel.  It doesn't. Bagels have that very chewy...VERY doughy feel that this will never have.  Actually, this bread in general is much closer in texture to an english muffin.  I only call it a bagel because the flavor profile of the everything bagel is what inspired the idea

For me it was less about the bagel "feel" and more about the taste of the seasonings and gobs of cream cheese....I never ate bagels plain.  It was all about how I loaded it up.  So for me....this is a delicious alternative.  I was delighted to get all those flavors together again....and in a "toast" like manner

Note: Some of my topping did fall off.  The dried onion I bought was really big and chunky and I think that was part of the problem.  It was heavy and didn't stick as well as the other ingredients and took some of them with it.  I will look for smaller onion pieces and possibly use egg whites to stick on the seasoning next time.  Over all though it didn't really bother me.  What did fall off I would scoop off my plate and sprinkle on top of my bagel so I wouldn't miss out on the flavor



No comments:

Post a Comment