Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Donut Bread Pudding

At that pesky place I'm forced to show up to 8.5 hours a day, 5 days a week (ugghhh...shudders) we have one dessert that far outshines all others.  Our donut bread puddingPartly because its  delicious and partly because the days we have it are very few and far between, novelty goes along way.  We literally had an old man that would come in every morning and ask if we were having it.  He was a real committed fan. We also had a lady on a scooter who comes in about every 4 months and expects it to be there on that ONE particular day. We get to listen to her whine the whole hour she spends beeping around the place.

Of course what customers don't understand is that it takes time to accumulate enough unsold donuts and pastries before we have enough to make a days worth of it.  Lucky for you I have scaled it down to a manageable amount for you to make at home.  Now the hard part is not eating the donuts before you get a chance to make it!  

Here's what you'll need


Milk, heavy cream, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, and about a dozen stale donuts. And yes, I really do suggest letting them get stale.  All it takes is leaving the box open on the counter overnight and they'll be perfect.  It's the open box staring you in the face that's the hardest part of this whole process, but it really does work better if they are dried out a bit.

Also, notice I don't have JUST donuts even though I call it Donut Bread Pudding.  Assorted Breakfast Pastry Bread Pudding just didn't quite roll off the tongue quite the same.   Don't be afraid to use cinnamon rolls, honey buns, danishes, coconut donuts....I even threw in some apple fritters.  Get creative.  And wild.  Really, really wild.

Cube up your donuts and shove them into a buttered 9x13 baking dish.  You WILL have to shove.  It will look like alot but trust me you need the pan to be full.


 Next, mix up your eggs, milk, cream, vanilla, and cinnamon.  Pour this mixture all over the pan.  Push the bread down into the pan and allow it to soak up all the liquid.  You can do this and let it sit over night if you would like, or you can just let it soak up for about 15 minutes before you bake it.


*Note: I don't add any additional sugar to my pudding, I like it to not be super sweet and let the donut flavor really shine through, but that's just me.  But if you like it a bit sweeter you could add sugar to your custard mix.  Maybe 1/2 cup?  If you have super sweet donuts like Krispy Kreme I really don't think you'll need it though. 

All mushy and gushy

Bake in a 350 oven.  For me it took about 20-25 minutes, but it can all depend on how dry your donuts were to begin with etc.  Check after 20 minutes by inserting a toothpick and seeing if it comes out clean.  Another sign it's done is it will puff up a little bit.  It's sort of hard to tell by this picture, but it is slightly puffed





Let it cool for about 20 minutes before you top it.  Our topping of choice at work is....believe it or not...........


pudding.  Yes, pudding.  

Don't underestimate it please.  I know most bread puddings have fancy glazes or rum sauces, or ganaches....but there is something about the pudding that I love.  And you can switch up the flavors too.  We usually do vanilla or banana and they are both  yummy. I made mine myself this time but in a pinch store bought it is quick and easy and still tastes good.  I made my pudding the night before so it would have plenty of time to set up for  "frosting" the pudding.

And Voila










Oh, and about what I said about work earlier...like shuddering and calling it pesky..... I only kid.  I love my job



Most of the time.



Donut Bread Pudding

1 dozen stale donuts, cubed
2 cups heavy cream
3 cups milk
5 eggs
2 tsp. Vanilla
2 tsp. cinnamon
*Sugar

Place donut cubes in a buttered 9x13 dish.  Whisk together cream, milk. eggs, vanilla, and cinnamon.


*Note: I don't add any additional sugar to my pudding, I like it to not be super sweet and let the donut flavor really shine through...but that's just me.  But if you like it a bit sweeter you could add sugar to your custard mix.  Maybe 1/2?  If you have super sweet donuts like Krispy Kreme I really don't think you'll need it though. 


Pour over donuts and allow it to all soak in for at least 15 minutes before baking.  Bake in a 350 oven.  Begin checking after 20 minutes by inserting a toothpick in the center until it comes out clean and it has puffed slightly. 

 Allow it to cool at least 20 minutes before topping.




Vanilla Pudding


1 C. sugar
3 Tb. cornstarch
3 C. milk
4 egg yolks, beaten
1 Tb. butter
2 tsp. vanilla


In a saucepan combine sugar and cornstarch.  Stir in milk.  Cook and stir over medium heat until it begins to thicken and bubble.  Let cook 2 minutes more.  Remove the pan from heat and temper the egg yolks with about half of the hot mixture.  Add the tempered egg mix back into the pan and bring it all to a gentle boil.  Reduce the heat and cook 3 more minutes.  


Remove from heat and stir in the butter and vanilla. Pur into a bowl.  Cover with directly over the surface of the pudding to avoid a skin from forming.  Chill at least 4 hours before serving to allow it to thicken.



No comments:

Post a Comment