Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Valentine's Day Pillow

So I had this vision of having cute little pillows for each holiday.  At Dollar Tree I found these great felt "Wall Decorations" as they call them and thought they would be perfect!  I looked around for a cheap pink pillow, but with no luck decided to make my own pillow.





I bought 1.5 yards of this pink fabric for $2.50 at Walmart.  Fold the fabric over.  I then just laid my heart over the top and used a straight edge and my fabric chalk to mark how big I wanted to make the pillow.






Cut it out and then iron out all the wrinkles


Line the fabric up as good as you can and then pin the 3 sides of the pillow and start sewing away.  Now, if your lucky and have a sewing machine you can get this done pretty fast.  I on the other hand can't seem to justify such a big purchase at this point because 1.) I'm a cheap ass and 2.) Until I start doing more projects that  require sewing I can gravy train off my sisters OR get over it and hand sew it like I did this


Start sewing at the corners where the fabric is folded and meet in the middle of one side, leaving a small space big enough to fit your hand through open



Use that hole to turn the pillow inside out.  Then I used Aleene's fabric glue to glue on the heart.  You could sew it, but the felt was very stiff, thick, and intricate. I knew it would be too hard to hand sew.  I let it dry for 24 hours before  stuffing the pillow and then sewing up the open space.

Here it is all done





Not professional grade, but not too bad for a newbie at hand sewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment