Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Cabbage Patch Stew

If you're looking for a nice comforting bowl of stew to get you through the cold winter months, I've got you covered.

OR...

If you're like me and live in Arizona and you're looking for a  nice stew recipe to help you PRETEND that  it's winter when in actuality it's close to 80 degrees everyday well into December, then crank the AC and look no further because I've got that covered too.

This recipe takes me straight back to my childhood and is a family favorite.  Except maybe for my sister that threw it up once...maybe not her.....but the rest of us it give it a big thumbs up.




I had been telling The Boy about this recipe for years but had never made it for him.  I figured you can only rave about something for so long without making it before it just kinda gets awkward and kinda starts to sound like a big lie.  Seemed good a time as any to getting around to finally making a pot of it.  After pulling out my grandmas old school typer writer typed bright yellow recipe card, I decided to Google it just to see if other people make it too. 

I was surprised at how many results came up!  But then I started opening them up and one after another they were just all WRONG!

1. Some used kindey beans.....  Nope.
2.I saw lots that used tomato sauce or just canned diced tomatoes.... Hecks to the no!
3.And not a single one mentioned being served with mashed potatoes.  This is just sad

So basically, it's a good thing I'm here to correct such a travesty.  You're welcome.

1.You need to use ranch beans. Yes the ones with the black label that have that tasty sauce
2.Tomato soup is where it's at.  It adds a real richness and silky texture.  Just do it.
3.Serving them with mashed potatoes is a MUST.  Because....
      A.  Mashed potatoes.   Nuff  said
      B. There's just something about the two together that is just amazing.  The key is to make your potatoes true old school "mashed" and not whipped.  I'm not going to include mashed potatoes in the recipe because I (hope) know you can handle that on your own...right?
You want them buttery and on the thicker side....and personally I don't even mind a lump or two.  I like the contrast of the stew with the thick and almost a little dense mashed potato (from not whipping them full of air)  Serve a big scoop of it in the center of your bowl and put a little of each on your spoon and eat them together like so....


And for the love of god, PUH-LEASE do not mix it all together in one giant swirly mess like my cousins used to.  You'll ruin the magic



Cabbage Patch Stew

2lbs. ground beef
1 large onion, sliced
1/2c. diced celery
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 small head cabbage, shredded (looking for about 6 cups)
1 26oz can Ranch beans
2 14oz cans condensed tomato soup
2 14oz cans green beans
Mashed potatoes for serving

Brown ground beef.  Sauté the onions, celery, and cabbage in the fat until softened. Drain off excess fat before adding minced garlic and let cook for one minute.  Pour in soup, beans, and enough water to cover.  Simmer on low for a minimum of 40 minutes, but the longer the better.  Salt to taste and pour in green beans just long enough to warm through as not to break them up into the stew.  Serve with mashed potatoes
















No comments:

Post a Comment