Thursday, March 15, 2012

Stop and rub your skillet

To everyone outside my own head I'm sure your thinking.. huh?  Let me explain...

I have had my set of cast iron skillets since I was 13 years old.  My oldest sister gave them to me for Christmas when I was in the 7th grade.  My friends were getting make up sets and thong underwear and I got pans and a deep fryer.  I was definitely not your typical middle schooler.  And I was fat.

Even though I appreciated the idea of a cast iron skillet and all the amazing things they offer that regular pans don't, I was still a bit too young and impatient to put in the time and effort to properly season them.  After a while I got frustrated with everything sticking and forgot about them for a while.

Fast forward about 2 or 3 years and I started to season them.  Rubbing them lightly with shortening and placing them upside down in an oven low and slow.  I did that on and off for a while and it helped but for a long time they were in a sort of limbo.  Not straight outta the box where everything sticks like a son of a mother, but still not quite non stick.  I got used to this "limbo" area and didn't think much about it...Until....

A few days ago I was cleaning the kitchen.  I went to go wipe out my pan and it was a little past "wiping" clean so I had to run it under a little water.  That's when the magic happened.  The water beaded up!  It was such a beautiful sight!  So I wiped it out and gave it a good rub.  Smooth as freshly shaved legs.  (that is before you get out of the shower and get cold and prickly all over again)  I stood there and rubbed it for a good 4 minutes and wondered how long had it been like this and I hadn't even noticed?

That's when I decided.  Some people "Stop and smell the roses" but I on the other hand need to stop and rub my skillet every once and a while.  It's the happy little things in life that shouldn't go unnoticed.  That is all.

Whit

No comments:

Post a Comment