Wednesday, March 7, 2012

St. Patty's Day Corned Beef & Cabbage (Revamped)

So as many of you know, corned beef and cabbage is the most popular sustenance of choice (besides beer of course) on the day we commemorate Saint Patrick.  You might know it better as the day we pinch...or the day you get really really drunk (no, not Cinco De Drinko..the other holiday)  Also the day that everyone is all of the sudden claiming every bit of Irish ancestry they have in them.  All 1/16 haha

Anyways, while there is nothing wrong with your classic corned beef and cabbage where you basically boil the living crap out of it, I share a similar viewpoint as Liz Lemon on 30 Rock.


"All of human kind has one thing in common: The Sandwich. I believe that all anyone really wants in this life is to sit in peace and eat a sandwich."

Beautiful words Tina Fey.  Beautiful words.

Take something already delicious and slap it on bread...yummy!





Start by making yourself some coleslaw.  Or buy some.  Or if you  had some KFC the other night and have a styrofoam cup full..use it up!   

 I used a small head of cabbage, a cup or so of red cabbage, and 1 shredded carrot.  For my sauce I used a little less than 1 cup of mayo, 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar, and a couple pinches of sugar.  Adjust to taste.



Next, toast your buns because everything is better covered in butter and pan fried to golden brown. I usually use an onion or kaiser roll, but I had ciabatta on hand and I actually think I liked it better. 



And because I'm incredibly impatient, this is the point where I make myself a taco.  Corned beef "tortilla" with coleslaw filling.  I should open an Irish taco truck.



Shmear a thin layer of 1,000 island on both sides of the bun


Heat up your corned beef in a pan.  This is VERY important.  Even though I will never turn down a cold piece of corned beef for snacking purposes, nothing compares to eating it warm.  It brings out so much more flavor.



Pile it on your bread. Top with cole slaw.  Grab a beer. Wear some green.

No comments:

Post a Comment