Sunday, February 26, 2012

A to Z Muffins (or bread)

This is such a good basic recipe to have on hand.  The "A to Z'' refers to any moist ingredient you want to use such as  banana, zucchini, carrot, apple...whatever your little heart desires.  I basically see whatever vegetables or fruits I need to get rid of and go from there.



Start by mixing together all your dry ingredients in a small bowl.






Prep your A to Z ingredients.  I had some brown bananas staring me down every time I walkd in the kitchen so I mashed those up.  I got a little less than a cup so I did just over a cup of grated zucchini to equal my 2 cups.


Beat your eggs in a large bowl until foamy.  Then add your oil and sugar and cream it all together.  In my case, I never use oil.  I always use applesauce.  Not only does it lower your fat and calories, it also gives the muffins even more flavor.

See how the eggs are kinda foamy?




Then add your vanilla.  I prefer Mexican vanilla.  Maybe it's because my husband is mexican?  Or maybe it's because it tastes more creamy and less "alcoholy" than other vanillas I've tried.  Who knows.



Add your dry ingredients to the wet in thirds, gently folding it in.  Don't over mix your batter!  That is key to good muffins.  Just mix until everything is wet.  You don't want to form any gluten.  Place in your muffin tins or loaf pans.  I got a yield of exactly 24 muffins.


Bake your muffins at 350 and check after 15 minutes. Mine were done after about 17 minutes.

  Voila!  Full recipe below

3 C. Flour                                    2 C. Sugar
1 tsp. Salt                                    1 C. Oil or Applesauce
1 tsp. Baking soda                      2 C. "A to Z"
1/2 tsp. Baking powder              1 tsp. Vanilla
2 tsp. Cinnamon                         3 eggs
1 C. chopped nuts (optional)


Mix together dry ingredients.  In large bowl, beat eggs until foamy.  Add oil (or applesauce) and sugar and cream together.  Add A to Z and vanilla.  Add dry ingredients in thirds, only mixing until everything is wet.  Don't worry about lumps, just don't over  mix!

If making into bread, grease a loaf pan and bake @ 325 for 1 hour

For muffins bake in cupcake liners or a greased muffin tin and bake at 350 for about 15 minutes or until done.  Yield 24 muffins

For mini muffins I found that they bake in about 10 minutes.  I'm not sure how many it yields....but lets just say ALOT haha

 I like to freeze them and pull them out as I want them.  Perfect to throw in your lunchbox to be thawed by lunch time, or heated up in the microwave for about 30 seconds will work just fine too.

No comments:

Post a Comment