Sunday, February 26, 2012

Stuffed Peppas






Begin by slicing the tops off your bell peppers and removing the seeds and membranes from the inside.





Then, dice up your onion.  I also like to cut around the stem of the bell pepper tops and dice those up and add it to my filling mixture as well.  Or you could just save the the pieces for snacking....or just be wasteful and throw them away. (Booo!)  Whatever does it for you


Brown your ground beef and add in the onion, pepper pieces, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, salt, and pepper.  Drain off the excess fat.  Turn off the heat and add in your garlic.  I like to grate my garlic directly over the put with my microplane.  It saves you from tedious chopping.




Mix in your cooked rice, drained tomatoes, and parmesan cheese.  You will have a lovely mixture that looks like this.   See how the peppers give it nice color?



Stuff your peppers and place in a baking dish.  I had enough stuffing leftover that I could have made 2 more peppers for a total of 8 instead of my 6.  My peppers were huge so if you had smaller peppers you could probably get up to 10.   I had some mini yellow squash so I scooped out the seeds and stuffed them with my extra filling



 Pour a little water into the bottom of the baking dish and cover it in foil.  After 45 minutes in the oven, uncover them and top with more parmesan cheese


Bake until the cheese is melty and delicious.



And here are my cute little squash boats.  They're so small you can just pic them right up and eat them in 2 bites



2# ground beef
6-10 bell peppers, depending on their size
1 large onion
3 Tb. Worcestershire sauce
28 oz. can diced tomatoes, some of the juice drained
4 cloves garlic
1 tsp. thyme
Salt & Pepper to taste
3 c. cooked white or brown rice
1 c. parmesan cheese, plus a little extra for topping

Cut the tops off the peppers and remove the seeds and membranes.  Dice up your onion and bell pepper scrap.  Brown the ground beef and add the onion and peppers part way through.  Drain off the fat and add the Worcestershire sauce, thyme, salt, & pepper.  Turn off the heat.  Add the drained tomatoes, rice, garlic, and cheese.  Stuff your peppers with the mixture and place in a baking dish.  Add some water to the bottom of the dish.  Cover tightly with foil and bake in a 350 oven for 45 mins.  After the 45 mins, uncover the peppers and top with more cheese.  Bake until cheese melts and top crusts a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment