Sunday, June 20, 2021

Mediterranean Orzo Salad

I absolutely LOVE Mediterranean food.  It's so full of flavor and fresh.  It has a healthy feel where even when I eat my weight of it I never feel all that bad.  Like this dish for example, even though it's pasta I feel like I can eat a mountain of it and I don't feel the need to wallow in self loathing afterward.  I don't know, maybe it's all in my head.  A coping mechanism that allows me to shovel delicious food down my trap with the bright flavors of citrus, vinegar, olives, and garlic all without a second thought.  Whatever it is, it's working for me,  




This dish is perfect for those hot summer days where you need to eat something that feels light and fresh.  And don't be afraid to mix it up a little to your own taste.  If you want to use a different olive or skip them entirely (although I don't know why you would want to do a foolish thing like that) you can sub roasted red peppers.  Arugula would be a tasty swap for spinach and you can go all vinegar or all lemon juice for the dressing.  There's so many ways to customize this dish to your liking.  This is just what speaks to me and what I had in my house at the moment.  

If you try this recipe out let me know how you liked it.  And if you ate half the bowl yourself and don't feel like a pile of shit either.



Mediterranean Orzo Salad 

1 lb Orzo pasta, cooked and cooled

1 English cucumber, small diced

1 cup kalamata olives, sliced

1 pint Grape tomatoes, halved

1 cup Fine diced red onion

12oz Crumbled feta

Spinach, couple handfuls

1 cup Pine nuts

 

Dressing

 

¼ cup fresh lemon juice

¼ cup red wine vinegar

3 cloves garlic, finely minced

2 tsp. dry oregano

2 tsp. salt

1 tsp black pepper

1 cup olive oil


Lightly toss orzo, tomatoes, cucumber, olives, pine nuts, onion, feta, and spinach together. Combine all dressing ingredients together in a jar and top with lid. shake to combine.  Pour over salad ingredients and toss lightly to coat. Serve chilled.

2 comments: