Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Young Ellie and Carl Cosplay






So as you saw yesterday we always have themed "costume" type outfits for our days in Disneyland.


Day 2's outfit came about in a different way than normal.  The Boy and I always start brainstorming a bunch of cosplay ideas for our Disney trips months and months in advance.  We normally have the 2 we really want and start hunting for clothes just based on those.....with maybe a back up idea if we end up not being able to find our first choices.

This trip was a little different for us because it was the first time ever that we went for 3 days.  We have always only gone for 2 before.  We instantly agreed on 2 costumes, but the third one was kind of up in the air....but I started the hunt anyway

I was at Ross looking for one of the particular outfits when I walked past a shirt on a rack.  I kept on walking at first but then was instantly drawn backward.  I swear if somebody had the footage it would have looked like I was being rewound on an old VHS. The shirt was perfect and I NEEDED it npw....and before that very moment I didn't even know I wanted it.

That one single shirt sparked an entire days outfit.....one that we had never even thought of as an option.



I was so pumped up about this damn shirt I ended up sending this text out to 2 of my sisters and niece



When they couldn't get it I kept adding hints




But I finally just ended up having to tell them it was Young Ellie from Up




Isn't the shirt perfect??  Yea it's not spot on....but it's pretty damn close! That same night at Ross I scored a pair of shortalls for the outfit too. Probably the only good reason for the 90s being back in right now (not a big fan of most 90s styles....it's a rough clothing time period in my opinion lol)  I know she wears regular overalls, but we were going in June so I welcomed the shorts version to keep a little cooler

With most of my outfit out of the way....it was time to focus on the Young Carl version for The Boy. 




 He already had khaki shorts and similar glasses. I bought him a cheap yellow Polo from Walmart and scored a brand new, tags on, Banana Republic brown sweater vest for 99c on ebay.  Not only was it a sweet deal, it was also my very first time to win an auction.  I always lose them or have to select the "Buy it now" option....so this was a huge excitement in my life for like over a week.  It's all about the little victories in life right?

That left the aviator hat....which I just couldn't find.  Bummer right? Oh well....maybe next time.  I still think the costume was really good....that would have just pushed it over the edge into full fledged awesome though.

That just left the small details ...like the bottle cap pins and bow for my hair.  I had originally planned to make both myself....but as it got down to the wire I ended up buying them to save time and some of my sanity.  Not only was this our vacation, but my sisters destination wedding....so you can imagine the sort of planning and chaos leading up to our departure...so yea.....I sucked it up and bought some stuff.  

I bought the pins off Etsy and the last minute and got them in the mail a mere 2 days before we left....but they were perfect!  Better and cheaper than I could have done myself so it was a better decision all around


And for my bow I just bought an already made one at Michael's and hot glued it to a headband.  Quick and easy

Ready to see the finished looks??








Don't you just love how overalls give you that awkward stomach pooch?  I've got enough of my own....I don't need any added help thank you!




And together.....




It was a fun one to do because it is a lot more obscure than any other outfits we've put together.  It's not quite as obvious and I'm sure plenty of people just thought I was some crazy broad with a babies bow in my hair.  Ya know....those babies that always have bows bigger than their whole damn head on everywhere they go. Haha!

We had a few people that would stare at us as we walked by.  Then maybe 20 seconds later after we kept walking we would here "Hey Ellie and Carl!!"  as they had finally put it all together and figured it out.  I loved it!  

While we were standing in line for Radiator Springs Racers, we had a couple tell us how much they loved our outfits and asked to take our picture.  Turns out they were on their honeymoon and had just had an Up themed wedding.....how cool is that?!?


Minus the bummer of not having the aviator hat I was really  happy with how it all turned out.  It was probably...scratch that....definitely....my favorite outfit from our trip.

That's it for this outfit.  See ya back here tomorrow for more Disney deets!

No comments:

Post a Comment