Saturday, November 17, 2012

Low Carb/ Paleo Friendly Jambalaya

So I have sort of been in a Low Carb rut these days but I'm still determined to stick to it to get off the last few pesky pounds I gained on vacation....where I ate copious amounts of delicous Disney food (which I will be posting about soon)

But like I said...in a rut...bored.....so I decided to try and spice up my normal low carb fare
Quite literally actually

I decided to make some nice spicy Jamblaya

Here's what you'll need



I head of grated cauliflower, 6 links of andouille sausage, 1/2# chicken, 1 bell pepper, 2 stalks of celery, 1 small onion, green onions, garlic, broth, creole seasoning, and a bay leaf


Start by browning your chicken pieces. (I used thigh strips cause I like my chicken like I like my men....dark!) When it's almost done browning I add in my sausage that I precooked and cut into half moons just to begin heating it through and browning it 



Remove your meats from the pan and set it aside

Add your diced onion, celery, and bell pepper to the same pan and cook until the onion is translucent



Then throw in your grated cauliflower and let that cook for a few minutes



After a few minutes of frying that up, add the meat back in, the garlic, broth (beef or chicken will work) creole seasoning, and a bay leaf



Let it simmer over medium high heat and cook down all the liquid.  At one point you're probably going to look at it and think "oh this ain't happening" and it will look like too much liquid......but trust me....it will get there eventually.  Maybe 20 minutes or so

Like this



I like to leave a little juice just to keep it moist, but you can reduce it all if you would like.  Turn off the heat and stir in your sliced green onion

And that's it!  Not only is this low carb but it could also be eaten on Paleo diets.  Paleo is just a bit stricter than low carb because they limit dairy more.  I hate milk so that's not a problem for me....but I love me some queso! Mmmm So I guess I'll stick to the LC club





Low Carb Jambalaya

6 links andoiulle sausage, cooked and sliced
1/2# chicken
1 diced red bell pepper
1 small onion diced
2 stalks celery diced
1 head cauliflower grated
4 cloves garlic minced
2 1/4 c. broth 
2 tsp. creole seasoning 
1 bay leaf
6 green onion sliced

Begin browning chicken in a large skillet. When it is almost done add the sausage to brown, then remove it all and set aside.  Saute onion, celery, and bell pepper until the onion is translucent.  Add the cauliflower and saute a few minutes more.  Add the meat back into the pan.

Add the minced garlic, broth, bay leaf and creole seasoning. Start with 2 tsp of the creole seasoning and if more is needed later add...but start off small because those blends can tend to be salty.

Let simmer over medium high heat until almost all the liquid is absorbed,  Adjust seasoning inf necessary.  Turn off heat and stir in the green onion


No comments:

Post a Comment