Saturday, May 12, 2012

Lemon Artichoke Pasta

I like bold, strong flavors...the kind that sort of kick you in the nars.  (so to speak)  I like acids like vinegar and lemon, all things briney, and so much garlic that you will be breathing fire for days.

Now I realize not everyone likes their food quite as strong as me, so that's why this recipe is so perfect.  It has all the components and flavors I love, but their subtle enough for everyone to enjoy.

I made this dish today as an early Mother's Day lunch for my Madre.  This is one of her favorite things that I make.



Dice your onion and chop the artichokes.  Cook the onion in about 1/2 cup of olive oil.  I know that sounds like alot, but that is the base of your sauce.  You want the onions to be translucent, not brown.  



Once they begin to soften, add in your diced artichokes.  Let them cook for a minute and then add in your lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic, capers, and toasted pine nuts. Let it all cook together for 2 minutes.  


 Turn off the heat and stir 2 tablespoons of butter.  Season with salt and pepper (be careful though because the capers are salty)

Toss with your favorite pasta  (I prefer linguine for this) 

If you're one of those people who feel like they need meat to make it a meal, diced chicken goes great in this!  Sometimes I do....sometimes i don't.....it depends on the day. =) 

Also, I made the regular version for my mom and a low carb version for myself by putting the sauce over spaghetti squash.  It was soooo good.  So any of you low carbers out there should give it a whirl!
 







Lemon Artichoke Pasta

1/2 C. olive oil
2 (15 oz) cans artichoke hearts, diced
1 onion, diced
1/2 toasted pine nuts
1/4 C. capers,
3 lemons, zested and juiced
4 cloves of garlic finely minced
2 TB. butter
Cooked pasta of choice (I use linguine) 


*Optional: Cooked, diced chicken


Cook onion in olive oil until they are translucent.  Add in artichokes and cook for about a minute to soften.  Then add in your pine nuts, capers, lemon zest, lemon juice, and minced garlic.  Cook all together for a few minutes.  Turn off the heat and add 2 Tb. of butter.  Stir together with cooked pasta.


3 comments:

  1. Yum I love artichokes! I know I would love this recipe - can't wait to try it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another nice link! Thanks Whit. Have a good one

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice blog Thank You for sharing this blog. i was searching for pasta related blog. this blog is very helpful for me pasta online
    Buy Pasta Online
    for more details CLICK HERE

    ReplyDelete